We wish to inform you that applications are ongoing for the Nigerian Academy of Science (NAS) Gold Medal Prize for Life Science 2021. Interested and suitably qualified persons are encouraged to apply.
The Nigerian Academy of Science (NAS) is the foremost independent scientific body in Nigeria which was established in 1977 (but incorporated in 1986). NAS is uniquely positioned to bring scientific knowledge to bear on the policies/strategic direction of the country and is also dedicated to the development and advancement of science, technology, and innovation in Nigeria.
Title: Gold Medal Prize for Life Science 2021
- The Gold Medal Prize was instituted by the Nigerian Academy of Science (NAS) in 2016, to be awarded to deserving Nigerian scientists who have made significant achievements in science of national relevance and global resonance.
- The award is made annually, alternating between the Life and Physical Sciences, and consist of a Medal, a Certificate and a Purse.
- The 2021 award will be made in the Life Sciences.
Selection will be guided by the following criteria:
- Candidates must have received a doctoral degree or its equivalent
- Active involvement in the field of research in the Life Sciences
- Scientific excellence demonstrated through published works, patents, innovations, intellectual property rights of merit;
- Upright morality;
- Contribution to excellence in basic / fundamental or applied research, for work done predominantly in Nigeria with international resonance and potential applicability to global community;
- Outstanding, original, ground breaking achievements, widely accepted to contribute to the promotion and improvement of human condition through application of science.
Guidelines for Nomination
- The award is open to all Nigerian citizens within or outside the country (other than Fellows of the Nigerian Academy of Science);
- Any Nigerian citizen, including Fellows of the Nigerian Academy of Science, may nominate candidates;
- Each nomination must be made by at least two persons, one of whom is identified as the corresponding nominator whose biodata must accompany the nomination;
- Nominations shall be made strictly according to the nomination format prescribed below, submitting only one nomination form per person (the nomination format may be downloaded from NAS website)
- In addition to submitting the completed nomination form signed by the candidate and nominators, nominations must be accompanied by:
- A two-page curriculum vitae of nominee
- A complete list of candidate’s main publications
- Copies of 10 of the most important publications
- The prize is open to be awarded to a single individual or as a joint prize arising from the work of more than one person in the same fields of life sciences.
Application Closing Date
25th July, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download, fill and send their Nomination Form with the necessary documents listed below in PDF format to: email@example.com using “Entry for NAS Gold Medal Prize 2021” as the subject of the email.
Click here to download the Nomination Form
Check list of Submissions
- Completed and signed nomination form
- Curriculum vitae of candidate (2 pages maximum)
- Copies of 10 most important publications
- Complete list of candidate’s publications
- Brief biodata of corresponding nominator
Important Information and Notice
- Paper nominations will not be accepted.
- A nomination is not considered fully submitted until the corresponding nominator receives a confirmation e-mail from NAS; confirmation will be sent within 5 business days of receiving a nomination.
- Nominations must be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 25th of July, 2021.
- The public announcement of a winner or winners will be made in October, 2021, and the prize giving ceremony will take place in January, 2022.