First International Emergency assists civilian victims, marginalized or excluded by the effects of natural disasters, wars and economic collapse situations. Our vocation is to defend the fundamental rights of the person, as defined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948 man. Let’s help them do without us Our goal is to provide a comprehensive response to all the basic needs of populations affected by humanitarian crises in the urgency to help them regain independence and dignity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below;
Job title: Nurse Assistant
Location: Monguno, Borno
Number of Position: 06
Contract Start Date: ASAP
Contract duration: 5 months (with posssible extension)
- Under the direct supervision of the OPD Supervisor or Team Leader, the Nurse assistant provides patients’ health care in collaboration other health team members in the facility.
- S/he assists the nurse and the rest of the medical team on duty with general nursing activities and over-all patient care according to international/national protocol and the given instructions under strict supervision/monitoring of a nurse, a supervisor or team leader.
- S/he follows PUI protocols and standards to ensure quality and continuity of care, promotion and restoration of health of the patients and population.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Perform general nursing duties such as monitoring of patient vital signs, wound care and dressings, insertion of cannulas, administration of IV fluids and injections, administration of Nebulisers as prescribed by a clinician
- Participate in the preparation of the material equipment and drugs for the consultation
- Conduct triage according to nurses’ protocols, detect priority acute cases in the waiting area and fill the health card (weight, BP, HR, temperature etc)
- Check the vaccination status of children less than 5 years old
- Ensure the good flow of patients avoiding overcrowded rooms and having patients standing up for long time while waiting for their turn
- Ensure a good level of communication and understanding between the PHC team and the patients
- Carry out first aid care when necessary
- Follow medical prescriptions
- Assist the clinician during certain health care acts when it is necessary
- Assist the clinician in the management of the referral cases
- Perform basic laboratory tests as requested by the clinician. (e.g. urinary sticks, pregnancy tests, capillary blood sugar, hemoglobin level)
- Provide health education following the protocols and key messages regarding hygiene, diseases, and prevention
- Educate patients in the self-management of their conditions and usage of medications Follow waste management according to waste management procedures
- Clean and sterilize the medical material according to procedures
- Collaborate with other departments as needed to ensure smooth implementation and integration of services
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey, etc…according to the needs
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state.
Medical Data Collection And Reporting:
- Verify that the medical prescriptions are readable, dated and signed
- Check expiry dates of medicines and report it directly to the supervisor
- Record accurately for each area, on a timely manner, the personal and health related data on the health card
- Register all the data needed about patients, referral, treatment in the appropriate registers and files
- Report to the supervisor any problem in the clinic especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue
- Ensure an oral and written handover at every team changeover, draw attention to any notable events during the shift
- Report directly any difficulties or delays in the implementation of activities
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs.
Internal And External Representation:
- Participate in any training in order to improve the quality and efficiency of nursing cares and duties
- Participate actively in meetings when required.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Assessment on beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and non-communicable diseases or other diseases of public health relevant and treat him.
- Provide frequent feedback on health-illness patterns observed in the field that require further assessment.
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention.
- Education degree: Nigerian health care qualification or Community Health Extension Worker (CHEW) qualified under the Nigerian health care legislation
- Work experience: Minimum of 1 year of experience as nursing assistant/ nursing aid or similar. Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Hausa, knowledge in Kanuri is an asset
Knowledge and skills:
- Technical knowledge about use of medical equipment
- Good knowledge of Public Health.
- Good knowledge of Medical ethics.
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy experience
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Team Spirit
- Be available for any emergency
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Method of Application
Use the link below to apply on company website.