The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below;
Job title: MIDAS SOP & Training National Expert for IOM Nigeria Immigration and Border Management Programme
CFCV No. : CFCV2021.15
Organizational Unit: IBM
IOM Classification: Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultant, 40 working days within 4 Months duration
Estimated Start Date: April 2021
- Consultancy for the Engagement of a National Expert for the Development of SOPs for Institutional Use of Migration Information Data Analysis System (MIDAS) with Vulgarization and Training Sessions
- To initiate and reinforce the operationalization of legal and institutional tools and mechanisms in Nigeria, and to frame the potential benefit and advantages brought about through the collection of biometric data by the Government (most notably the Nigeria Immigration Service – NIS), IOM is seeking a qualified consultant to develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) on the use of MIDAS, which will be designed to set out the key stages of implementing data protection by design and default in respect of all border security activities which involve the collection and processing of personal data and thus support the implementation of the data protection policy.
- Adherence to this Procedure will provide evidence that an appropriate risk assessment of data protection compliance and security certification can be undertaken and ensures that consideration has been given to the data protection implications of any activity and the application of all relevant data protection principles before personal data processing takes place.
- Under the direct supervision of the IBM project Senior Programme Manager and in close coordination with the Immigration and Border Management unit, the successful candidate will work as a consultant on the IOM Immigration and Border Management (IBM) project portfolios “The IBM projects are implemented in collaboration with the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS).
- The CSSF of the UK government has funded a project called “CATS – Enhancing cross-border cooperation on border management and counter-trafficking between Niger and Nigeria” for a duration of 32 months to enhance Border Management Information System (BMIS) use in Nigeria and Niger. Nigeria is presently engaged in the process of installation and implementation of a BMIS, named Migration Information Data Analysis System (MIDAS), which was developed by the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) in 2009.
- Currently, Nigeria has MIDAS installed and operational at 5 main International Airports, 3 seaports, 13 land borders, 3 NIS State Commands and NIS Headquarters creating a data / system architecture under the control of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS). IOM’s MIDAS systems generate a high volume of personal data that falls under the property of the Government of Nigeria.
- An important aspect of this program will be to reinforce host countries to adequately frame the data life cycle management, in order to ensure the efficiency of the use and the added value of the MIDAS system. Although digitizing information and databases is a very efficient way of handling large amounts of information, it also opens that information up to the threat of being misused or used outside of the system, since it is a very new tool for Nigeria. Therefore, it is crucial that administrators in charge of systems handling personal data of people are capable of protecting that information.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Develop SOPs on legal and institutional use of MIDAS linked to data processing and management in Nigeria in coordination with the project team. (April – May 2021 – 15 days):
- Develop work plan and methodology for the SOP preparation
- Engage with national stakeholders on data protection and management to establish a description of the prevailing practical / operational process of data sharing within Nigeria and with third parties in comparison with international standards regarding data protection.
- Coordinate with the IBM team and the National Technical Committee which will provide technical input during the preparation of the SOPs.
- Draft SOPs with inputs from stakeholders and joint consultative meetings
- Develop a framework on legal reform for including MIDAS data protection, use, maintenance and obligations in relevant Nigeria’s legal document(s) pertaining to migration.
- Finalize the document for validation in coordination with the Technical Committee and the IBM Senior Project Manager.
- Perform other tasks related to the development of the SOPs that may be required in coordination with the IBM team.
Facilitate pre-development joint consultative meeting. (May 2021 – 5 days):
- Provide discussion points and areas for circulation to participants.
- Brief on information sharing & national / international cooperation mechanisms, structures and best practices to guide discussion(s)
- Pre and post meeting evaluation of participants
Facilitate mid-development consultative joint meeting. (May 2021 – 5 days):
- Brief on draft outline and structure of the Information Sharing & national / international cooperation SOPs.
- Review of draft information sharing & national / international cooperation SOPs outline and structure
- Compile the comments and inputs shared during the review process and revise draft SOPs based on feedback
- Post- meeting evaluation of participants to test consensus or acceptance level of draft.
Facilitate joint validation meeting. (June 2021 – 5 days):
- Review the final draft SOPs within national and regional contexts.
- Facilitate validation meeting including mixed group breakout sessions to review specific sections of the draft SOPs manual
- Compile relevant concerns and comments and ensure subsequent incorporation into the final SOPs.
Facilitate training sessions for relevant border officials. (June – July 2021 – 10 days):
- Draft a concept note for the capacity building training designed for relevant officials on the final draft of the SOPs / Use of MIDAS with a clear description of the context and the steps to be taken by government. Coordinate the process with relevant partners, approval should be gotten from the IOM IBM Team.
- In coordination with the Technical team, NIS and IBM team, prepare the agenda and presentation materials for the capacity building training.
- Prepare a summary report articulating gaps and challenges and processes to be proposed in Nigeria
Tangible and Measurable Output of the work assignment:
- 1st deliverable: by 30th April 2021 – Successful Develop draft SOPs to be reviewed by relevant government partners for the legal and institutional use of MIDAS based on task (a).
- 2nd deliverable: by 30th April – 31st May 2021 – Facilitation of consultative and validation meeting with relevant government partners and IOM IBM team based on task (b, c & d).
- 3rd deliverable: by 30th June 2021 – 4)
- Review the final draft SOPs within national and regional contexts based on task (e).
- 4th deliverable: by 30th July 2021 – Facilitation of training sessions for relevant officials on the SOPs for the institutional use of MIDAS including vulgarisation based on task (e).
- Satisfactory completion of task indicated in the Terms of Reference
- Adherence to agreed schedule of activities
- Quality products developed.
- Initiative and problem solving during the development process.
- Timely production of reports
- Respectful and cooperative approach with IOM team, NIS, and other concerned counterparts
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s and / or PhD degree in Law, Criminology, Human rights, Political Science, Development Study, Humanities or any other relevant discipline; or
- University degree in the above fields with five (5)- seven (7) years of prior work experience in dealing development of SOPs for national, regional and international use with regards to data protection and management
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in undertaking research especially in the area of data management and data protection.
- Demonstrated experiences and skills in facilitating stakeholder / working group consultations.
- Relevant regional and international experience will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in developing SOPs especially in the area of data management and data protection. The project seeks to identify expert (s) that fulfil the above criteria and have demonstrated ability of involving key stakeholders (judiciary, prosecution, police, civil society etc.) to provide relevant expertise and bring a wider perspective in developing the SOP.
- Ability to provide solutions in a fast-paced environment, whether working independently or as part of a team
- Excellent professional ethics
- Extensive knowledge and ability to draft and produce high-quality written reports
- Excellent social and inter-cultural skills.
- Ability to work with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, empathy, flexibility, drive for results, respect for diversity, creative thinking, and organized.
- Excellent understanding of gender-related needs, perspectives, concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Proficiency in English.
- Fluency in English; knowledge of multiple languages advantageous.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply
Sunday, 28th February, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line.
Click here for more information (PDF)
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line CFCV2021.15 Abuja. Consultant (MIDAS SOP & Training National Expert for IOM Nigeria IBM Programme)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).