Voluntary Service Overseas is a not-for-profit international development organization charity with a vision for a “world without poverty” and a mission to “bring people together to fight poverty and marginalisation”.
We are recruiting to fill the position below;
Job title: Agronomist: National Professional Volunteer
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Employment Type: Volunteer
- As a VSO volunteer you’ll live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities
- By sharing your unique skills and experience you’ll help generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities you work in lift themselves out of poverty
- We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come
- Join us as a VSO volunteer and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
- This national Professional volunteer role will be focused on Researching, developing, and promoting farming practices or products that diminish the effects of changes in soil, climate, and weather or prevent damage from pests.The position would be based in Adamawa and Kano state of Nigeria
- The Agronomist will coordinate, implement, and monitor agronomic aspects of VSO Rural Livelihoods projects; a (support for innovation and demonstration of best practices)
- The key task will be setting up, maintaining, monitoring, and reporting on a series of farmers field demonstrations with participating farms and businesses
- The Agronomist will further provide ongoing agronomic expertise and support to VSO operations in Nigeria.
- Bachelor’s Degree / HND / NCE / OND
- Minimum of 2 years experience.
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
- Ability to be open-minded and respectful
- Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Ability to seek and share knowledge.
- VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce
Safer Recruitment and Safeguarding:
- Protecting children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm is central to achieving our mission of ending global poverty.
- At VSO we are committed to ensuring the experience of our organisation is one that is free from any form of abuse or exploitation. Everyone who comes into contact with any person associated with VSO should at all times feel respected and safeguarded.
- To enforce this, our global safeguarding policy (PDF) has a range of preventative measures and systems to prevent any form of abuse, and clear procedures for disciplinary action in the event this policy is breached.
6th December, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- If you have concerns or wish to talk to someone in confidence about a safeguarding issue please contact the Lead Safeguarding Officer at VSO on +44 (0)208 780 7500 or email@example.com
- By implication at VSO we are very thourough on issues regarding duty of care and as part of our recruitment process successfull persons will have their background investigated in as part of our safer recruitment process.